5 Famous Places of Interest in Tomohon

What do we do on our peregrination? Well, we are searching something special of the destination. Something typical from that place. Imagine, we have come this far and we only stay at the hotel. What a traveler are we? But, trust me! I don't usually wander around during my traveling either. It might be because my occupation as tour guide has resulted in many walking and wandering already. And, I always miss the comfort of bed and bedroom. Besides, I am a typical loner. So, I usually spend my vacation sleeping or in the hotel's bed room. For me,  there is no different between hotel's bedroom or the bedroom in my house. They feel the same. In the end I will be sent to la-la land. But for you whose job is at the office from nine to five, you should and want to explore the destination.

Sometimes, I feel silly to spend big sum of money on vacation far away from home for being end up on the bed whole week. I don't really mind the hotel as it has swimming pool or not nor a lounge or another high-end facility. As long as the bed is comforabtable, I am fine. But yeah, that is me. And don't get me wrong either. I am pretty much a spender too. I will make sure my vacation worths my time, So does my money. Well, I think it is enough about the habit of my vacation.

However, I also try my best to find interesting destinations. Then I can tell stories to my colleagues and relatives hence. Otherwise, they might have fun on me about my trip. 
Or, I can somehow recommend a good place to them there and then. Therefore, I usually search information of these places of interests somehow. For instance, the most recommended restaurants, the most visited tourist destination, the remoted places, the cultural attraction, public center, what happen at the town hall and much more. But, I also leave the rest to come along by itself, so to speak.


Places Of Interest

Speaking about tourist destination, we are going to discuss about places of interests in Tomohon here. Tomohon has already become tourism destination in North Sulawesi, Indonesia for last decades. The number of tourists are increasing from time to time. So, tourism business is rapidly increasing in number in this small town too. For the moment, Chinese tourist are the most. Mass tourism has becomes primadona in Tomohon. But, only European, Australian, American tourists stay whilst most of the Chinese stay in Manado.

Linow Lake

Touristically, Linow lake is the highlight and high-end destination on the first place in Tomohon. It is obvious. Everybody goes there. The name of this lake must have been echoing through the whole world. So, many people go after it. One facility by the lake is properly managed too. That makes it a lot better for visitor. I don't mind paying some money on my vacation for a nice service. Especially, when it is really, really good.

Bukit Doa Mahawu and Mount Mahawu

Second is Bukit Doa Mahawu. It is situated at Mount Mahawu. Bukit Doa Mahawu is a site for Christian pilgrim, especially Catholic. However, it pretty much welcomes everybody visitation irrespective of their religions nor believes. The other side of the Mountain, which is the crater of Mount Mahawu, becomes another tourism destination also. People come to Mount Mahawu with many purposes. some people come for the crater, some for the nature, some for bird-watching, some for paragliding, some for plant identification and on and on.

Mount Lokon

Facing Mount Mahawu is Mount Lokon. Different from Mount Mahawu, Mount Lokon is only visited by climbers and nature lover both local and Western tourists. The volcano is active. Therefore, it is not all tourists visit this site. Sometimes, you will need to ask for recommendation about the situatuon of Mount Lokon before approaching the crater.

Tomohon Traditional Market

Then, there is Tomohon Traditional Market. It is a common market. But, It is famous for the uncommon meat for eating. Still, there are many stalls worth your visit. You can see the herbal or spices, vegetables and fruits. These  traditional market is not the most nightmareful for your visit after all. The market starts at pretty early in the morning until around 3 PM. Saturday is the most crowded day among the weekdays. It can ben very touristic as well. While on Sunday, it opens until 11 AM. Christmas Eve and New Year Eve are two days not so good to visit. Because it is normally very crowded with people from all over Tomohon and surrounding town. Some Saturday before Thanksgiving and Passover in Tondano and Minahasa can be very crowded too.

Tetetana

There is a peak near by Kumelembuay. It is called Tetetana Peak. It is known to have scenic view over the northern side of the peninsula as far as Manado to Bitung. Although it is in the region of Suluan, Minahasa Regency, but most of the people place this destination along with Kumelembuay. This is the most eastern point of Tomohon that border to Suluan, Minahasa Regency. Besides, the entry point is through Kumelembuay. The view though is very picturesque, especially during the early of dry season which is around June to July.

 I summarize will one more time the places of interest in Tomohon that worth your visit as follow:

  1. Linow Lake
  2. Bukit Doa Mahawu and Mount Mahawu
  3. Mount Lokon
  4. Tomohon Traditional Market
  5. Teteana Peak
These sites are top five places of interest in Tomohon. They are reachable with public transportation, taxi whether conventional taxi but also online taxi. Prepare your camera and don't miss the moment. Shall you have any question or comment, do not hesistate to me using the comment box. I will find opportunity to answer your questions and to respond whatever comment being posted.

See you again at next discussion. Or who knows, you want to visit my town in the future?

Comments